A is for Apple, B is for Boy, C is for Custom Made Nursery

As I mentioned before, my Christmas holiday was a busy one filled with sewing and refurbishing. Two of my biggest projects were for my best friend Jessica's nursery. I am sure if I lived in Houston Jessica and her husband would have me busy day and night with projects for their new home.

The nursery has a cute farm house theme complete with a pig, old barn door refurbished dresser, madras plaid, red and white gingham ribbon and all the toys perfect for little boys. My projects for the nursery were to sew drapes, a London shade and refurbish a dresser.

nursery after 


























Jessica picked up this dresser for $50 from a Houston thrift store. It is made of solid wood and is about 50 years old. It needed minor repairs, other than that it was in great condition. Over the 50 years the dresser has acquired some beautiful wear and tear from the warm holes to the antiqued mirror.

dresser before
close up of dresser before

dresser before


Jessica knew from the beginning she wanted this dresser to look like an old barn door, from the weathered wood, fading paint to the distressed edges. The paint color was a perfect fit. Jessica chose Martha Stewart Living Sealing Wax.  Lucky for Jessica, I really enjoy a challenge and the finished product looks as though it was made from the wood of an old Texas barn.





























dresser after






close up on mirror and dresser top


close up of dresser top


To help complete the farm house theme custom made drapes and London shade were sewn. I chose a indoor/outdoor cotton/poly blend navy fabric for the drapes and shade. The durability of an indoor/outdoor fabric is great for little boys. For the drapes we also choose to make the length floor to ceiling for a more elegant look. Both the drapes and shade are lined with blackout lining. Blackout lining is a necessity for nurseries because it helps keep out most sunlight for those naps at all different hours. A delicate red and white gingham ribbon was added as trim to both the drapes and shade.  

drapes


In addition to the dramatic length, we also decided to make the drapes extra wide. Jessica wanted the extra fabric to gather and bunch when the drapes are fully closed.


London shade
close up on London shade


The London shade turned out  fantastic. I love the bobbled bottom. Baby Brody is one lucky baby, two amazing parents, two loving dogs and one awesome nursery.

Photo by Jessica Matos Photography.


Dressing Up Your Dresser

My most recent refurbishing was for a client with a 20 year old five drawer dresser. My client loved the dresser, but knew it was in desperate need a of furniture face lift overall, the dresser was in good shape. It had a few surface scratches, some chips, a broken drawer glide and a broken base board.


dresser before
Refurbishing it didn't take long and within a week we were picking out paint colors. I always try to advise my clients to find a few shades of a color they like because we all know, but many of us forget, once paint dries it's a slightly different shade. With this dresser we were on the hunt for the right shade of grey, not to blue and not to green. Our first choice too green, but after a few more tests we found this beautiful Benjamin Moore & Co. grey blue Gibraltar Cliffs color.

dresser after (puppy not included)




My client selected these knobs from Anthropologie.  The ones we used have more of a brass finish. The link will show you a zinc finish. Our knobs were found in the store. She wanted the dresser to have a distressed look. We agreed a light distressing detail would be best.

I have more refurbishing projects coming up. I will post pictures soon!